Dear Friends and Family,
Greetings from Zambia! As we prepare for our last Christmas in Zambia we remember the coming of of our Saviour Immanuel, God With Us (Matthew 1:23). We give thanks to God for his indescribable gift (2 Corinthians 9:15). We also thank you for your prayers and gifts over the past month!
2015 ICETE Conference
Every three years the International Council for Evangelical Theological Education (ICETE) organizes a conference for evangelical educators from around the world. In November I traveled to Antalya, Turkey to attend the 2015 Conference. It was amazing to network with colleagues from 70 countries around the world. Some highlights include:
- Attended sessions which helped me reflect on ways to improve what we teach at EU;
- Met with other Academic Deans to discuss issues related to accreditation;
- Investigated new IT solutions for EU;
- Received free Bible software for our students;
- Met with a partner organization that provides library resources for EU, and was able to negotiate a grant for books.
Visit to Historical Sites in Israel
Following the ICETE meetings I traveled to Israel where I visited with my sister-in-law and her husband for several days. I visited many historical sites, including Nazareth, Capernaum, the Jordan River, Qumran, Masada, and many places in Jerusalem. This was a wonderful first experience for me in the Holy Land which I hope will benefit my teaching for years to come.
2015 Graduation at Evangelical University (EU)
Evangelical University’s 2015 Graduation was held this past Saturday. Seven students received bachelor degrees (four year program), and five received diplomas (three year program). The students we visited in June received degrees (see July’s newsletter) and are now preparing for the next step in God’s plan for their lives. The day was bittersweet as I celebrated what my students have accomplished yet contemplated impending departure from EU.
This is what the Lord says: “Restrain your voice from weeping and your eyes from tears,
for your work will be rewarded,” declares the Lord. (Jeremiah 31:16)
South African Theological Seminary (SATS)
Last week I remotely attended a two day workshop hosted by SATS in Johannesburg for supervisors of Masters and Ph.D. students. Next week I will be teaching the next module in the SATS Masters program which is being hosted at EU. I also plan to meet individually with students to discuss their thesis topics while they are at EU.
- Pray for me and for my students as I teach the SATS Masters module at EU next week
- Pray for Anna and John as they write university exams
- Pray for Sarah who has been having problems with a pinched nerve in her neck
- Pray for Kristina as she continues to homeschool Sarah and Katie while managing our household through daily eight hour power outages and frequent unscheduled water outages
- Pray for the government of Zambia as they seek solutions for the shortage of electricity and other economic challenges
Thanks be to God for his indescribable gift! (2 Corinthians 9:15)
Blessings in Christ,
Tim & Kristina Churchill